Use this guide to help out with carry-on luggage restrictions and be sure to comply with the Transportation Security Administration's rules and regulations.
Whether you're flying domestically or internationally, every airline has its own carry-on luggage size restrictions.
1 Standard Article + 1 Personal Article Carry-On:
Standard Article: 23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm (9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in)
Personal Article: 16 cm x 33 cm x 43 cm (6 in x 13 in x 17 in) 10 kg (22 lb)
Examples of standard or personal articles (as determined by their size):
- Carry-On Bag
- Roller Bag
- Laptop Bag/Backpack
- Sport racquet (e.g. tennis, squash, badminton)
- Musical Instrument
- Cat or small dog in its carrier
- Camera bag
- Diplomatic or consular bag
- Airport shopping and duty-free purchases
- Garment bag (size and weight restrictions apply)
TEL. (888) 247-2262 - Air Canada's Website
First Class/Business Class passenger can carry two (2) pieces of carry-on baggage, with each weighing no more than eight (8) kilos (17 lbs.).
- First Class/Business Class passenger can carry two (2) pieces of carry-on baggage, with each weighing no more than eight (8) kilos (17 lbs.).
- Each Economy Class passenger can carry up to one piece of carry-on baggage that weighs no more than five (5) kilos (11 lbs.). The linear dimensions of each piece of carry-on baggage shall not exceed 55 centimeters (22 in.) in length, 40 centimeters (16 in.) in width and 20 centimeters (8 in.) in height, which ensures that the carry-on baggage can be stowed in the closed overhead compartment or fit under the seat in front of you on board the aircraft.
- 1 handbag
- 1 briefcase
- 1 small bag for a notebook computer, camera or any other electronic device.
- Jacket, Coat, or other clothes you're wearing
- Duty-Free items purchased on your flight or at the airport
- Accessories for children such as collapsible strollers, car seat, diaper bag
- Medical Equipment (collapsible wheelchair, crutches, etc.)
- Laptop Bag
- Diaper bags (1 per child)
- Soft-sided cooler bags
- Child safety seats
- Duty-free merchandise
- Special items (Strollers, child safety seats, wheelchairs, and crutches)
- Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 114 cm) in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels, with the exception of small musical instruments that fit in the overhead compartment space or under-seat space available at the time of boarding.
- Baggage must meet carry on size limits (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm). Reference size check templates located at ticket counters and gates.
- Laptop Computer
- 22" length x 14" width x 9" height (45 linear inches)
- Maximum weight: 25 pounds (11.5 kg).
- Small Backpack
- Laptop Bag/Backpack
- Economy Class: 1 item of carry-on baggage up to 8 kg
- Premium Economy Class: 1 item of carry-on baggage up to 8 kg
- Business Class: 2 items of carry-on baggage, each up to 8 kg
- First Class: 2 items of carry-on baggage, each up to 8 kg
- Carry-On Size Requirements: 10 x 16 x 24 inches.
- Personal Item Requirements: 18.5 x 8.5 x 13.5 inch dimensions.
- Required dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels.
- The maximum dimensions for your personal item, such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or other small item, are 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm).